Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jan 23 -Don't worry - Be happy


January 23
Learning to be Happy

Pr 16:20…whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

Years ago I had a picture of a monkey dressed in a ragged suit, with a rumpled hat on its head  and a stub of a used cigar in its paw. He was sitting on a curb with his feet in the gutter. The caption said “I have been rich, and I have been poor    rich is better”  That picture sort of reminds me of myself.  “I have been angry and I have been happy  -  happy is better.”

   I was an angry Christian for many years. There were some deep hurts from my childhood and life was not easy growing up poor.  Lots of things made me angry. It didn’t take much.  A car that was parked crooked and took up two spaces so I had to park 6 rows farther away was enough to make me growl all day.  While I was a relatively pleasant fellow there was always anger just below the surface.  But one day that completely changed.

Did I have to suffer a catastrophe,  or other major event to make that change?  No, just a Chinese fortune cookie which said “No man can take your happiness!”  Now that really made me mad!  What kind of stupid lie was that anyway? People made me mad. Things broke and made me angry.  Sometimes I became angry over some circumstance that was not my fault but which affected me. And I had every right to be angry!  I was still angry when I returned home so I went to my library and started doing some research on happiness.  I knew that Chinese fortune cookie was wrong and I would prove it.

Warren Wiersbe has a book on Philippians entitled  Be Happy.  When I pulled that book from my shelf and started reading I had no idea that a study of Philippians would be life changing and turn me from an angry Christian into a happy Christian.  This is not the place for a lengthy Bible study so I will summarize what I learned.  Wiersbe pointed out that the four chapters in Phillipians each dealt with different ways we could lose our happiness. 1- circumstances, 2- people, 3-things and 4-worry .

A few days later I came into the house sputtering over the lawn mower that would not start!  My dear wife simply asked me “Well, what did you give your happiness to this time?”  She was absolutely right. There was no way a pile of metal could take anything from me. I had given my happiness away to a thing.  It might sound silly but I turned around, walked back to that lawn mower, gave it a kick and said “ You can’t have my happiness you stupid lawnmower. I am taking it back. I don’t care if you want to run or not. It isn’t worth my happiness”  And I did take it back, and went smiling into the house.  I only had to do that once.

 From then on when I would start feeling angry I would mentally stop and say to myself. “No that isn’t worth giving up my happiness”  It only took a couple months or less and I didn’t even have to think about it. It just became second nature to me. I really am happy all the time now. Yes, sad things still make me sad. Both my sisters died recently. One just 4 days ago as I write this. While I am sad, there is a deep joy inside of me that keeps me happy all the time, even in sadness. 

The opening verse is incomplete.  The entire verse has the two keys to real happiness.

Pr 16:20 ¶ He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good:
and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.   

We cannot obtain happiness by just praying and laying in a hammock waiting for one of God’s angels to come with a magic wand and make us all happy.  Wham-bam you are now happy!. The verse details the two ingredients of true happiness.  Gaining wisdom enough to handle matters wisely is the first ingredient.  Most of us realize we are not the smartest rabbit on the bunny trail. So how do we become wise and learn to use wisdom?

Ps 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom
Pr 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom

How will you know when you have gained wisdom?  The answer is also in the verse. You have wisdom when you have learned to trust in the LORD.  We must use wisdom to do our part, but beyond what we can do we must leave the rest in God’s hands. That is what trusting in the Lord is all about. Leave it in his hands. Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.
 
Pr 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding
 
Wiersbe points out that when you do not lose your happiness over circumstances, things or people then chapter four explains there is then nothing to worry about.  If you are not happy is it because you have not learned to trust God to work it out.  Count your blessings. Leave the rest to God. Do not give your happiness to anything. 
“No man can take your happiness!” 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment