Monday, February 24, 2014

Feb 21 - The Eye of God


Feb 21

The Eye Of God 


Ps 32:8 …I will guide thee with mine eye. 

When I read this part of verse 8 my first thought was “How can you guide anyone with your eye?”  It only took a few seconds before I remembered as a rambunctious kid running through the house with some of my cousins. During one of the stampedes through the living room I noticed my mother was watching me. Now lots of times a kid says “Hey, watch me.”  As they do something to get parental attention.  But this was not one of those times.  What I saw was enough to make me stop running immediately. It was “The Look!” 

Nearly everyone can relate to “The Look”.  My mother had a special way of looking at me, head tilted slightly down, eyes glaring over the top of her glasses with no trace of a smile on her face. She was guiding me with her eyes. The guidance was very clear, even if unspoken. “Young man, you stop running and fooling around this instant … or else!” 

All through life we encounter “the Look”.  Teachers had a look in the classroom that attentive kids grasped and avoided the wrath to come.  The principal had a different look. Usually not as mean looking, but more frightening.  (Oh dear I am writing an autobiography of a bad kid!)

But I think you get the point. There are many kinds of looks. Not all of them are bad. There is the “May I help you?” look from behind the meat counter in a grocery store.  Many of the looks people give us are visual clues to alter our behavior, sometimes to laugh, other times to cringe.  

Just imagine what went through Peter’s mind when he received a look from Christ. 

Lu 22:60 …And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.
61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter.  

Christ did not speak to Peter, he only looked at him, and Peter went out and wept bitterly. What a powerful look. Peter had been standing by the enemy’s fire, cursing and swearing in denial, but that look drove him out where he wept.

But the question remains, how can God guide us with His eyes.

First of all knowing the seeing eye of God is upon us wherever we go and whatever we do is an encouragement to do right.

 Pr 5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.

When we knew our parents were watching we remembered what they had told us we could and could not do. So we strive to do what pleases God, because His eye is on us.  

De 13:18 When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day,
to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God. 

A second way that God guides us with His eye is He can see what direction we are headed and what lies on our path ahead.  The trials of life we encounter are either to convince us to change our course, or prepare us for the victories that will make us stronger.  

Ps 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Pr 16:9 ¶ A man's heart deviseth his way:
but the LORD directeth his steps. 

Lastly God can see what is in the heart of man. He prepares pathways according to what is needed for a pure heart.  Even a king is subject to having his heart altered. 

Pr 21:1 ¶ The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD,
as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

May we be mindful that we are never out of God’s sight. We sometimes take our eyes off Him, and wander, but he never forsakes us. We are always under His watchful eye and care. Oh that we could see ourselves as God sees us. We would quickly understand why we sometimes need difficulties, problems, frustrations, to turn our hearts and eyes back to the God who never slumbers nor sleeps.  
 
For His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know he watches me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment