Wednesday, June 18, 2014

May 5 In the Beloved


May 5

In The Beloved

Ro 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
 
     An argument that began 500 years ago is still alive and unsettled. As a new Christian in high school I was an unwilling participant in this old argument. For some reason those who held the view opposite of my own would seek me out. They would try everything from ridicule to expounding on Scripture passages to convince me I was wrong.  
     I had forgotten all about my defense of eternal security of the believer until I attended a class reunion a few years ago. A classmate simply told me
 “You were right!”
“I was?  About what?”  I had completely forgotten our old high school arguments. I still cannot recall them.
“You know, about eternal security. I used to believe you could lose your salvation, but when I attended seminary I learned you were right.”
 
     The argument between Calvinism and Arminianism has created combinations of the two opposing views, with Arminianism slowly taking over. But, relax, because I do not intend to waste our time debating the two here today.
Yesterday we meditated on how susceptible we are to sins of lust, covetousness, and pride. Today let us look at the question Paul asked in chapter 8 of Romans.
 
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
The answer to that question is the focus of our meditation for today. The answer is nothing, zip, nadda, nyet, and zero with the rim kicked off.  Paul did a better job of answering than that. A couple verses later he answered the question this way.
 
Ro 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life,
nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers,
nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature,
shall be able to separate us from the love of God,
which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
 
     That is a pretty inclusive list. In short the answer is nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. How is that possible in our sin cursed world? It is possible because salvation is the work  of Christ and not ourselves. We may stumble, slip, and fall in our journey through this sinful world, but our salvation does not depend on our work, but the work of Christ on Calvary. What crazy kind of egocentric thinking would believe that an individual sin could undo the work of Christ on Calvary? How insulting to God must it be when a “worm” thinks he has power over what Jehovah has done.
 
     Let us rejoice today. May our thoughts be filled with joy that we are not walking a spiritual tightrope where one mistake on our part (sin) could lead to our doom.  Let us rest in the knowledge that “Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a Crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.”
 
     So let us not fear life, death, angels, principalities, powers, the present, the future, heights, depths, or anything!  We are safe in the eternal work of God through the work of Christ on Calvary.  The divine bookkeeping placed our sins on Christ and his righteousness on us. That is the wonder of it all.
     Christ taking our sins is too often seen as the only work done on Calvary. But, Praise God, in addition we have been given the righteousness of Christ. Let us rejoice today that we are accepted in the beloved.
     Scripture says we should sing to ourselves making melody in our hearts to the Lord. Might I suggest we meditate today on the words from that great old hymn.
 
In the Beloved accepted am I,
Risen, ascended, and seated on high;
Saved from all sin thro’ His infinite grace,
With the redeemed ones accorded a place.
Refrain
In the Beloved, God’s marvelous grace
Calls me to dwell in this wonderful place;
God sees my Savior, and then He sees me,
In the Beloved, accepted and Free
  
Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment