Saturday, February 8, 2014

Feb 8 - Do You Love Me?


Feb 8
Do You Love Me?

John 21:15 ….Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me …

Yesterday we looked at the same event and focused on the unending mercy of God. Even after Peter denied Christ three times he was forgiven and restored to fellowship.  But there is more to this event.

Today we will look at the three times Christ asks if Peter loves Him to see what additional lessons we can learn.

     Christ does not berate Peter and ask “Peter why did you deny me?” or remind him “See, Peter, I told you. When will you learn to trust me”  Instead of providing an opportunity to make excuses, Christ went to the heart of the matter.  Before Peter denied Christ he had said;

Mt 26:33 Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be
 offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.  

Therefore Christ asked Peter “Lovest thou me more than these?” But Christ did not call him Peter, but Simon, his name before Christ had called him to follow.  Simon, are you still filled with pride so you think you are the most faithful?  Peter will not now brag about how humble he is. Instead he appeals to Christ’s omniscience. Thou knowest!  The love Christ asks about is the highest form of selfless love (Agape)   Peter does not trust himself to answer in kind, but only with the love that is a lower form. Brotherly love (Philos)  He is told “Feed my lambs.”  The word for feed here is to just provide fodder.

     The second time Christ asks Peter he uses the highest form of love again and Peter’s response is “I love you with brotherly love. This time he is told to feed My sheep. The word used here is more than just feed – provide fodder. It is used of someone who is in charge of doing everything to nurture the sheep and keep them fed, healthy and safe. Shepherd my sheep!

      Christ has asked “Do you have superior love for me” and then “Any love at all”, and this last time he asks “Do you even have affection for me?” The third time Christ asks Peter He uses the same form of love that Peter has responded with. Simon, do you have brotherly love to me – are you fondly affectionate to me? When Peter heard Christ ask “Are you even fond of me?” he was grieved. 

Joh 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?
Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? …

Again Christ tells Peter to feed my sheep.  Peter has learned a very hard lesson. The great physician has cut into Peter’s heart and though a painful procedure for Peter his prideful heart has been repaired. He has been forgiven, restored and healed of his pride.

Why did Christ say to feed my sheep?  He was talking to fishermen, his miracle that night resulted in the Apostles catching a large number of fish, and he had originally called them to be fishers of men?  So why not talk about “fishing for men”?  It was because salvation is just the start of the Christian life. Christ wanted Peter to be a shepherd, a pastor, and care for the flock.

 I was once in a church where they announced 1500 people had been saved the previous year. There were about 450 people in attendance that morning. I wondered where the 1500 were? The pastor had created a church which was only focused on salvation. Please forgive me if I am skeptical that everyone who repeated the sinner’s prayer and were never seen again in church had actually experienced salvation.  Salvation is important, but this portion of scripture is not so much about salvation (fishing for men) as it is about new born babes (lambs) being brought to spiritual maturity.

Also note that Christ’s response to Peter was always about “my” sheep.  Christ is the great Shepherd and they are His sheep. The under-shepherd may forget that and begin to believe that the sheep are his. His church. His flock. That kind of thinking may lead to neglect. 

Christ wanted to know that Peter loved him before he would let him care for Christ’s flock. Men who do not love Christ will not be diligent in the care of Christ’s flock.  Pastors who do not call, do not study diligently, and make little or no attempt to bind up wounds, seek those who have strayed, or work at their calling might benefit by Peter’s example here in John 21.  Do they love Christ? That is not a question I will ask or answer.  Christ can ask them.  How will they answer?  What evidence will they present as proof? 

Too many churches today have professional pastors. They have a vocation. A job! They have attended college and been given the head skills to be a minister.  But do they love Christ and have the heart of a pastor? 

There are hard working, Christ loving, self denying pastors across America. They love their people, do the work of a shepherd, care for Christ’s flock and lead exemplary lives. Unfortunately there are too many who do not!  If some pastors cared for real sheep the way they care for Christ’s flock they would be arrested by animal control agents for neglect.  Before we condemn any of them let us ask ourselves if we love Christ. What is your proof?   
More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the
prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment