Sunday, February 9, 2014

Feb 9 - What Day Is it?


Feb 9

   What Day Is It?


 Ps 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made;
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.

This is the day…..What day?  Is the psalmist talking about Sunday, or the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday) or the day the cornerstone was laid in Ezra 3:10 or another day?

Ezr 3:10 And when the builders laid the foundation
of the temple of the LORD,…

 11 And they sang together by course in praising and
giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good,
for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel.
And all the people shouted with a great shout,
 when they praised the LORD, because the
 foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.

In Ezra 3:11 the phrase “for his mercy endureth forever” is found in the first 4 verses and also in the last verse of psalm 118. There would have been great rejoicing, joy unspeakable, and unrestrained thanksgiving for that day when the temple was being rebuilt.

     But this is the last of the Psalms that make up the Hallel.  The Hallel usually included Psalms 115-118.  It was sung for Feasts, the Passover and other times of Victory and celebration.  See Ezra 3:11 above to note they sang in courses. One group would sing a phrase and the other would respond. You can almost hear the response “…and his mercy endureth forever…” I have been in a church where one side of the congregation would read part of a verse and the other side would answer back.  One of the most obvious things in these psalms is they are Messianic. They contain language that would apply to the Messiah. (Christ) If you have time browse through these Psalms and note the prophetic utterances. 

       I like to think of everyday as a day the Lord has made with a special emphasis on Sunday.  This Sunday as my wife and I sat at the table and listed prayer requests we became so aware of God’s mercy and grace to us that we could not think of anything we needed. All we could think of was how blessed we were. I admit we did not shout or bang on cymbals as in Ezra’s day but we were pretty thankful none the less. It was a reminder to us that we needed to be that thankful every day. 

      There have been Sundays I was not so thankful. When I mechanically went through the motions of getting ready for church, mindlessly singing hymns I knew by heart and using the preaching time to organize my thoughts,  the only fleeting joy I had was that the service had ended.  Shame on me!

      Other Sundays were wonderful, joyful times. What made the difference? Me!  When I had prepared my heart prior to the service, asked God for a blessing, and meditated on the words in the hymns I discovered the preacher delivered a better message. Or perhaps I was more receptive having prepared myself. Oh, one other thing I do now. When I hear someone say “Well I didn’t get much from that service” I am reminded we should be going to church to give, not get. A worship service is just that. We go to give worship. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. 

      Oh dear!  I hope no one goes to get worship!  “People will really notice my new dress”  (Do women still wear dresses to church?)  “When I sing my solo they are going to just love it”  Etc. I think you get the idea. If we go with the idea of getting praise instead of giving praise we will often leave empty handed.  But if we do our best to give God the worship He deserves we will get a blessing.

      Years ago I prepared my heart for several days prior to the Sunday services. I specifically asked God to give me a blessing. I was filled with expectation about what blessing God had in store for me. Just as I entered the auditorium I was asked to help out in children’s church.  Disappointment filled my mind. I had so wanted a blessing, but now would have to wait until next Sunday.  During prayer time a very young boy asked for pray for his knee. “Why should we pray for your knee” the director asked.  “Because it hurts!”  The simplicity of his answer was my blessing. His childlike faith reminded me that God’s simple truths can fill our hearts with more joy than the deepest doctrinal study. That was a day that I rejoiced and was glad in it.

Dear friend, why do you go to church?  Is it because you always go and it is a habit.  Some people never go to church.  They stay home for exactly the same reason you go.  It has become a habit for both of you.  Now going to church is a good habit unless you do what I used to do; mindlessly sing hymns and mentally escape during the sermon.  Let us daily rejoice that God has given us another day. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.  When you prepare your heart,  attend church so you can give worship and meditate on what is sung and said, you will not be able to do anything less than to tell people “This is a good day”  Happiness really is a choice.

This is the day which the LORD hath made;
we will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment