Friday, September 12, 2014

May 24 I Don't Want To


May 24 
I Don’t Want To!
Jg 21:25 …every man did that which
was right in his own eyes.

Recently I saw a political cartoon that described some of the problems in the world today. People who have been working for various causes are pictured with comments about their cause. One said “I want free birth control”, another, “I want free education” and it continued with comments like “I want free health care”.  

Contained within the expression “I want free…” is the idea that they want something and they do not want to pay for it. Changing the words from “I want free..” to “I don’t want to pay for…”  may change how the message sounds but the two are essentially the same in meaning. I want free means I want something but I don’t want to pay for it.

I am reminded of a great pianist who at the end of his wonderful performance met people in the lobby. A lady told him “I would give anything to be able to play the piano like you do!”

“No you wouldn’t!” he responded. “I gave everything to learn to play like that. I practiced when I didn’t want to, when I didn’t feel like it, when I wanted to do something else. I had to give up a lot of things just so I would have time to practice.”

Unfortunately, that lady’s mentality exists among Christians today. We say we want to have things but we don’t want to pay for them. We want blessings without burdens, permission without prohibitions, wisdom without work, and spirituality without study. Almost every positive desire (I want) also contains a negative (I don’t want). 

Most Christians wished they knew more about the Bible. But it is foolishness to think you can learn the Bible without reading, studying, and working at it.

For our meditation today we will consider some things we should be doing but don’t because we don’t want to.

Eat your vegetables. They are good for you!
“I don’t want to. I don’t like vegetables!”

 

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.

“I don’t want to. I don’t have time for it. Besides I don’t like to like to study!” 

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be ready always to give an answer
to every man that asketh you a reason of the
hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

“I don’t want to. I’m not good at that kind of thing. I just tell them to ask our pastor."

 
Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart,
that I might not sin against thee.
"I don’t want to memorize Bible verses. It takes too much time. Besides I can just look it up on my smart phone."

Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

"I don’t want to spend my time sitting around meditating. I would rather do something that is more fun."

 Enuf already!  By now you have gotten the idea. There are lots of things the Bible says we should do but we don’t want to. So we don’t!

Why is that? Are we all disobedient rebels against God? Of course not. Most of us have a heart’s desire to please God. But somehow we just don’t do what we know we should. Paul had the same problem.

Ro 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Romans 7 is an argument against justification by law and the flesh. In the next chapter Paul describes the difference when the Holy Spirit indwells us and empowers us to do what we should, instead of what we want.

Ro 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

So if we are indwelt with the Holy Spirit what is wrong with our “wanter”. Why do we want to do things of the world, but don’t want to do things of the Spirit?  Paul also answers that question in the 12th chapter of Romans where he tells us to not be conformed to this world.

But we want to be. And therein lies the crux of the matter. We have opened the doors of our homes, schools, and churches to the world. The Internet and TV have flooded our homes with things we should not see, words we should not hear and depicts the worst immoral activities as normal. We have allowed our schools to eliminate Biblical standards, and even the mention of Christ. We have sat silently while our churches have drifted from a reverential house of Christ centered worship where the goal was to glorify and worship Jehovah, to places where the goal is to maximize attendance, tell people Jesus is their friend, and eliminate what people don’t want.

Our meditation for today is to be mindful when the scriptures say to “do” something and our response is “I don’t want to” we should stop and ask ourselves why we don’t want to. Is it because we are becoming conformed to the world? Is it time to do some mental housekeeping and get our minds refocused?

Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,…

If you feel unhappy that the Bible wants you to do something that you don’t want to do, you need to reset your “wanter.”  If the worst thing you have to do is “eat vegetables” you don’t like, consider yourself fortunate. Christians in the past have paid much higher prices and suffered greatly because of their obedience.
 
 
Heb 12:4  Ye have not yet resisted unto blood,
striving against sin.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment